Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The annoying ‘common’ cold!!

common coldThat’s right, I was down with a sore, painful throat and a bad cold for the past few days. I feel that the common cold is the most annoying of all the illness, thats bcos, one is not actually sick but still cannot go about the regular discourse without a feeling of unease. Since it is said that ‘A cold cures in 7 days without pills and in 1 week with pills’, I thought this time I’d take the 7 days trial :)

I am going to write a separate post on the ‘sukku kashayam’ (the dry ginger potion) that actually worked wonders on my cold. But here goes small tips that work in a big way! If you have a bad cough, try these home remedies:

1. To 1 glass of hot milk, add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and crushed black pepper (3 to 4) and natural brown sugar (panam karkandu) and mix well. Drink it when it is tolerably hot. This not just soothes the throat but also controls the cough.

2. To a teaspoon of honey, add 3 to 4 crushed pepper and powdered cinnamon (about 1/2 inch long). Drain this down the throat slowly so that the taste lingers in the throat for sometime.

3. It can be really irritating if coughing does not cease when we try to sleep. Try having one black pepper (slightly crushed) and 1 rock salt (size of the black pepper) in your mouth. Don’t swallow it, just keep it in the mouth and let the flavor get to the throat slowly.

4. Gargle with hot salt water at least 3 times a day and keep drinking hot liquids all through the day whenever the coughing sensation sets in.

P.S: Even though the cold kept me from posting new posts, it didn’t stop me from watching a lot of movies. So look out for many reviews in the next few days!

Do you have any other tips that had come useful when you had cold? Do share them in comments.. I am sure they’d help me next time around!

1 comment:

Gillion said...

Pei Pa Koa (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm ) is one of the few Chinese natural cough remedies that have been scientifically studied. it's something like herb plus honey, and it's sweet, thick and black in color. If you have a cough, look for it! It used to be one of my favourite natural cough remedies.

if your cough persists, seek professional help such as traditional Chinese medicine physicians - I have had very good experiences with them.

Post a Comment