Since coming back from US, I have visibly noticed how much my hands have tanned. My arms are at least 2 tones darker than my face. The main reason for this skin darkening is riding a bike under the scorching sun. Also tanning tends to be more in this season as it is really cold-dry outside - so there is not much sweat while the sun hits hard on the skin.
One best way to reduce the amount of tanning the skin has to undergo is to avoid waxing the arms. Let the natural layer of defense be the first layer of protection. The other things that can be done are:
1. Use a good sunscreen lotion – see that the SPF is 15 or more on the sunscreen that you buy
2. Use gloves that go up to the upper arm when you go swishing in the bike
3. Wear helmet to protect the face
4. Try to avoid as much travel during mid-day as possible
5. After every outing, remember to wash your face and hands with a good scrub
Even with all these done, there is no denying the fact that tanning does happen. If you live in metro cities like me, you get the bonus of pollution in addition to tanning. Be it any form of commuting, it has become nearly impossible to travel in Chennai without loading the skin with a layer of dust. The leaves on the plants on the sidewalks are visible proofs to the extent of pollution in the city.
Well, there are thankfully some home remedies that can be used for the tanning problem:
1. Potato pack – The best home remedy: Find small to medium sized potatoes when you next go for vegetable shopping. Peel away the skin and make a paste of the potato in a blender. The paste you get might be watery. Don’t try to filter the water out. Use the paste as such. Apply generously all over the arms and face. Let it dry (I hate the raw smell – but the result is worthy enough). Allow it to dry well and then wash it off with plain cold water.
2. Bengal gram paste: ( Kadalai maavu paste) : You can use the besan powder that is available in the stores or powder some whole green gram and use it to make the paste. Mix the powder in water (rose water if available) and apply the paste on the skin. Let it to dry and then wash away with cold water. This not just reduces the tanning but also makes the skin glow!
3. Curd – One of the readily available products at home. You can just use plain curd or mix 1 cup curd with 2 tsp of lemon juice and make a pack with besan powder added to it. This pack or the curd must be applied to the skin and let to dry before washing off with cold water.
Try these at home and don’t forget to apply sunscreen when you go out – Happy roaming in the sun!
Do you have other easy to do ideas to prevent tanning? Please share in the comments section